It started with a cuff … well, a metal pre-formed frame …
and transformed into this beautiful, statement jewellery item that belies the simplicity of its creation.
- use ribbon of your choice to wrap around the pre-formed cuff, top to bottom (depending on your design idea, the ribbon can be any fabric, any colour, any width; I used 1/2″ purple satin)
- use an adhesive that is suitable for your ribbon to fix at each end (I used Copydex)
- attach ribbon to the inside of the cuff, wrapping over at each end to give a neat finish; this second ribbon is to strengthen and keep in place the overlapped 1st ribbon (I used 1/2″ purple grosgrain, and attached with Copydex)
- stitch (or attach in whatever way suits) the final choice of ribbon, the one that will define the style of your cuff (I chose 1″ small floral Liberty print in subtle colours)
This shows the final look and position of the three ribbons. The inner ribbon is only there to keep the wrapped ribbon in place. I used a small amount of adhesive along the centre – hence the ‘puckering’ in places.
Stage 4, making the feature setting
- you will need to source a setting and a mount that can be attached to the cuff; these are cabochons and cabochon mounts (I chose a large, ornate ‘antique gold’ mount and black and cream setting for the Victorian theme)
- use a clear adhesive to set the cabochon into the mount
- I chose to weave a ‘spaghetti’ version of the Liberty print ribbon into the setting to draw the two elements of the cuff together
Stage 5, attaching the feature setting to the cuff
The cuff needs to slide over the hand, so one side needs to be fixed and the other flexible. I used narrow black leather cord to fix the mount to the cuff. For the side needing ‘more give’ I attached the mount using narrow black elastic.
I hope you have been inspired to try something a tad different. The ribbons, mount, and cabochons can be sourced online quite easily – once you know what to search for. No special tools are required, and you can use a variety of materials to create and decorate your cuff.
Stay safe. Stay well. Get creative.